Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Needs versus Wants

It seems like an easy thing to tell the difference between a need and a want. Do I need this new car? No, I want it. Do I need to pay the electric bill? Yes I do. It is when it comes to food that I seem to have an issue. Misti and I seem to eat all of our money away. Even on a budget, the money seem to go to either food or gas. These days, gas is around $3.30 or so a gallon. At what point can I step back and have a different outlook on this?

We are about 4 months away from not owing anything but our house. That being said, I will still owe myself in a few 401k loans. I do want to work on those, but what concerns me is how can I manage my life, my families live, in a way that is pleasing to God. It is not about saving, it is not about spending, it is not about getting out of debt for me. I want to be in a place that when God says I want you to give something, I will have it to give. It is tough sometimes when you work to get yourself to a place where you feel good about your finances, then all of a sudden, the bottom drops out and you are back to square one. Now, I do not actually feel I am back to square one, but certainly I feel a little more apprehensive about things.

Lord, help me to manage your money the way you want me to. Give me the strength and the discipline to get myself to where you can trust me more. I want to be more responsible and more willing to say "no" when I need to. Let me look to you for what I need. You are my supplier and you own it all. Not the 10% or the 20%, but the 100% of everything I think is mine. It is not mine, but yours. I give it over to you, I ask for you to take control and give me the wisdom to make the right choices to manager what you have so thankfully trust me to manage. I want to do more for you, but that requires me to do more with what you have already given me. I ask for your wisdom and direction for my family. Thank you Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment